“Remember before when I was kinda stupid? Well, now I’m worser.” –An excerpt from a real live conversation I had with a friend tonight.
Friends, let me tell you, adulting is hard. And it requires a lot of brain cells. And I appear to be lacking a whole lot of them. I’m not sure if it’s residual ‘mom-brain’, lack of sleep, ridiculous stress, too much coffee (never!), or eating any and all the carbs I see (or smell… I went on a sniffing search today when I smelled chocolate in the hallway and decided I had to find out where it was coming from… but I digress).
Anyway, whatever the cause may be, there is clearly a decrease in brain activity happening over here. I present you with the data:
- I said “worser”. … Anyone who knows me knows that I get a bit snotty about well grammer and speaking proper.
- Yesterday I parked my car at work. Or so I thought. I went to get out and the door wouldn’t open. AND THEN THE CAR STARTED MOVING BACKWARDS!! I hadn’t actually parked my car. I moved the gears, took out the key, and STARTED DRIFTING. The car was in reverse. I had to restart it and put it back in drive and repark (or park for the first time). There was an audience. It was a good moment.
- I stood in the lunch line with my students this week and for the life of me couldn’t remember what we were going to be learning about after lunch. I had the lessons all done, copies made and ready to go. But I couldn’t remember at all. It took me 10 minutes.
- The English language has become very difficult for me to understand. If you see me with a confunded (Harry Potter reference!) look on my face, and then watch me blabber on about something that has nothing to do with what you said, I probably had no idea what you said but didn’t realize it.
- It’s also become hard for me to speach (I’m leaving this typo, because apparently it’s become difficult to type as well). A lot of my “intelligent” conversations that really matter have begun to come out in worser stupid.
I can’t be alone in this! Anyone else adulting with less brain power than you started with? I want to hear your stories too!